- Degree type
- Language of education
- 40 weeks
- Tuition fee EU/EEA
- Please enquire
- Tuition fee Non EU/EEA
- Please enquire
- Education type
- Start of program
- Application deadline
- Type of institution
- Institute for International Education
Poultry is the most commonly kept livestock in rural areas. Its importance is further emphasised by its production potential and the increasing demand for poultry products. These favourable prospects for poultry production are accompanied by some constraints, so without skills and a sound knowledge of the various aspects of poultry development, the rural population cannot sufficiently exploit the potential profits. Animal feed is commonly one of the most important constraints, as it may be in short supply, to expensive and/or of substandard quality.
Extension officers, teachers and instructors in animal production (and for managers) in the field of the husbandry of poultry and compound feed production.
As a result of the training the participant is able to:
• Manage, supervise or guide poultry production from semi scavenging systems to intermediate scale, intensive poultry farming methods;
• Appreciate the relevance of local poultry farmers’ knowledge, experience and practices and create awareness of sustainable production concepts and methods;
• Identify, recognise and analyse opportunities and problems, taking into account constraints and utilise possibilities concerning poultry husbandry and the use of local feed-stuffs;
• Co-operate with others of various disciplines in planning, designing and implementing projects in the field of poultry husbandry and animal feed production;
• Transfer relevant knowledge, skills and technology concepts to small and intermediate scale poultry farmers and ditto animal feed producing units;
• Tackle more efficiently the problems with regard to optimum utilisation of locally available feed-stuffs, which are unsuitable for human consumption.