The course enhances knowledge of, and skills in, geo-information science, spatial analytical techniques and social statistics, and apply these in the field of urban planning and management.
This course addresses various contemporary themes in urban planning and management and focuses on the application of geo-information technology for understanding the nature and dynamics of urban regions.
Contemporary themes addressed in the course are:
* land, land use and shelter (planned versus unplanned development)
* economic development and urban poverty
* infrastructure, transport and service provision
* environment: hazards, pollution and solid waste.
The methods and techniques addressed are:
* conceptual modelling and problem analysis
* observation and measurement of urban themes and processes (monitoring, indicators)
* spatial analytical techniques * social statistics (descriptive and explorative)
* visualization and communication
* quality/uncertainty in (spatial) data.
This course could be complemented by the subsequent course Spatial Interventions in Urban Planning and Management.
The University of Twente focuses on the development of technology and its impact on people and society. It offers bachelor, master and postgraduate programs in the field of Technology, Behavioral and Social Sciences. University of Twente students are always encouraged to look beyond the boundaries of their own field and establish links with other disciplines.
High tech, human touch. This is what characterizes the University of Twente. Some 3,300 scientists and other professionals working together on cutting-edge research, innovations with real-world relevance and inspiring education for more than 9,000 students. The enterprising university encourages students to develop an entrepreneurial spirit and is a partner of Knowledge Park Twente.
More information about the University of Twente
Want to know more about this program? Make an information request.